Email Marketing | The Most Underrated Marketing Tactic in Sri Lanka
Most businesses today are capitalizing on social media marketing. While that is a great platform to reach customers, many companies tend to forget email marketing effectiveness. It is a direct and effective way of getting customers. Let’s find out why!
Before diving into how and why your business should use email marketing, let’s dive into some interesting facts about emails and why it is useful for a company?
- 3.9 billion (51% of the world population) use email (Campaign Monitor, 2019).
- Emails can be easily accessed on PC or mobile, but 85% of the users use smartphones to access their emails (99 Firms, 2020)
- 74% of people chose email as their preferred communication method for B2C (Business-To-Consumer) interactions (Sendgrid, 2017)
- On average, professionals check their email 15 times per day or every 37 minutes (Harvard Business Review, 2019).
- It is forecasted that by 2022, there will be 347 billion emails sent and received daily (99 Firms, 2020)
- It’s free!
Using Email Marketing in Sri Lanka
Now that we know a little bit about the global usage of emails, we can put together the benefits of using emails for marketing. Similar usage of emails can be seen in Sri Lanka, especially with smartphone users and professionals.
Reaching New Customers and Retargeting Customers
Most businesses in Sri Lanka use social media. They can use social media platforms to run lead generation campaigns and collect potential and new customers’ email addresses. This can be used to send emails to potential campaigns, which are focused on updating the customers on promotions and brands and encouraging them to make a purchase.
The businesses can also retarget the existing customers on their mail list or users who opened the email but did not purchase. Emails can be used to update them when the product goes on sale. The consistency allows businesses to improve sales conversions and maintain brand awareness.
B2C and B2B Marketing Communication
Emails are used by both customers and businesses. In fact, companies and professionals use emails more often than customers do. This is because emails are used as a professional and official mode of communication. Most businesses use emails to communicate with customers (B2C) to update them on purchase status, track their carts, invoices, promotions, etc. It is also used to communicate with professionals (both internal and external members of the business) – on average, professionals check their email 15 times per day or every 37 minutes (Harvard Business Review, 2019).
Evidently, it is a heavily used platform by both individuals and businesses. Thus, it is an ideal platform to directly reach your potential customers.
Platforms to Manage Email Marketing
You can increase the efficiency and productivity of email marketing by using different email marketing platforms that provide various tools and features to enhance your marketing campaign.
The top 5 email marketing platforms that you can use are listed below
- Mailchimp – This is the market-leading email marketing service provider, with an all-in-one integrated marketing platform.
- SendinBlue – This is best for small business, non-profit, or blogger.
- ConvertKit – This is best for a professional blogger or content creator.
- Constant Contact – This is best for business owners who require a powerful marketing automation tool that combines email marketing.
- Drip – This is best for an online store / eCommerce website.
These platforms offer free packages, which provide basic features and functionalities to the user, such as email creation and scheduling. You must opt for a premium package if you wish to enjoy the premium features of these platforms.
It is recommended that you go through all the platforms, find out the features and functionalities, the pricing, and the resources available to you, in choosing the right email marketing service.